Sunday 10 April 2011

Renovation

We have lived at our present home for nearly eight years now - and one of those little renovation jobs that has badly needed doing and has been put off countless times over the years - is our coal shed. We do not have a coal fire but do have a log burner- so we do use the shed to store our logs- our little coal shed has had a leaky roof for quite some time-so over the years the roof has required waterproofing with tarpaulin and has become a dumping ground for all sorts of wood offcuts - it has become a real eyesore ! The good thing about deciding to open your garden to the public [ to raise funds for MND] is that an effort is made to get all of these little jobs done and sorted ! I find myself stalking round the garden trying to view things as a stranger would for the first time and am horrified to see just what a terrible state everything is in ! I guess after a while you just stop noticing these things ! So we have called in the cavalry - brother in law Chris has been working hard not only putting a new roof on the shed but raising the height to make it a little bigger.

It has been a glorious day today-Chris pictured above, [ please note he is wearing his band ! ] called round to put the finishing touches to the shed so I could start painting it.While I filled the car with all sorts of junk to take to our local tip.
I have made a start painting the walls- while Ned has sorted the wood out and tidied it all away, while on a tea break I had a wander round the garden-everything is looking so much more colourful now.


I have also made a start on my vintage table top sale ! Our previous home was a cottage and a lot of what I brought with me to this house just doesn`t fit in [ 1938 semi ] with our deco - so I`am being ruthless and having a good sort out- I have no idea what sort of prices to ask -so I might check on ebay to get some ideas ! Hope you are all enjoying your Sunday and the nice weather-better get back to sorting a few more things out for the sale while I`am in this- its gotta go mood !

10 comments:

Terry said...

Your garden is just beautiful!!! I can't believe how full of flowers it is. We are still brown, brown, brown here.

Tom Stephenson said...

Word of advice about selling your knick-knacks on eBay - put them all up for a start-bid of 99p, and they will find their own level. Over-pricing means no sale at all.

John Going Gently said...

i WILL DIG you some more stuff out to sell as long as the left overs be sold at out open allotment day for MND?

Janet said...

Thanks Tom ! will try and sell them at my open day first then at John`s allotment open -thought I could use ebay as a guide to help price the items at their going rate ? will see whats left ?

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello!!! I wish I could come for your sale, I love what I'm seeing! And your garden is really lovely--Especially the bleeding hearts! We had them when we lived in Alaska, but Virginia is too hot for them. But my garden is just getting started and it's exciting to see everything coming back! I hope you've had a good Sunday too!!

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hello Janet! What a BEAUTIFUL garden you have...oh how I wish ours was loaded with flowers like yours is. I love Bleeding Hearts...they always remind me of my Nana's garden. I'm planning on planting at least one of them here on the farm soon...I'm starting with a blank slate so it will take quite a while to even get the garden looking good. OH well..."Rome wasn't built in a day" was it. Your coal shed looks wonderful...what a great job your brother in law is doing! Looks like your weekend was a good one...have a wonderful week...
Maura :)

Tracey said...

It's lovely, wish I lived nearby so I could come & help out...xxx

Gill - That British Woman said...

you guys have been so lucky with your weather recently, send some over my way!!

Gill

DeniseinVA said...

We have quite a few of those projects to do ourselves Janet. Splendid job on the shed. I haven't forgotten about the photograph. I'll be sending it along within the week.

Diane said...

That looks a job and a half! I'm currently amassing a load of antiques for my stall at the village fair (which I am doing for my WI). I'm really enjoying it and I think I could turn into some kind of Lovejoy!! Ive checked out all the stuff on ebay first, but I dont think I'll get as much on the stall. I have thought about ebaying some of the stuff to get a better price for it.